The Sorcerer's Cottage.

CLOSED TEMPORARILY People in the 17th century had to fix their cottages regularly, and so do we! Due to necessary maintenance we need to close it temporarily. Thank you for understanding and we hope to see you again once they are open. 

Experience the living conditions of tenant farmers of 17th century Iceland, get a glimpse of their world view, and the means they used in their fight for survival.

For centuries the turf house was the only type of building in Iceland. The Sorcerer’s Cottage is a realistic example of a typical turf house.

Stone is used for the foundation of the Sorcerer´s Cottage while the walls are built with “klambra", turf blocks cut in a certain way and laid in a herring-bone pattern with strips of turf between layers. For the timber frame, uncut driftwood is used, as it would have been at the time. Driftwood is found at the coast of Strandir and was very precious due to the lack of forest in the country. 

sorcery cottage
helm of awe


The Sorcerer's Cottage is located 25 kilometres north of Hólmavík. When driving out of Hólmavík, turn right into Road nr. 61. Take a turn into Road nr. 643 into Bjarnarfjordur. The cottage is next to Hotel Laugarhóll. There will be signs for the Sorcerer's Cottage on the way.  

Entrance fee

The entrance to the cottages is free. 

Signs and staves seen in the Sorcerer´s Cottage can be found in Icelandic grimoires, some from the 17th century. 

The cottage was built by the people of Strandir, many of them being volunteers working under the guidance of a builder with knowledge of 17. century building techniques. 

The Sorcerer's Cottage is a part of the Museum of Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft and opened in 2005. 

More to see:


Bjarnarfjordur is a historic place. We encourage visitors to learn more about what is found in the fjord. For guests wanting to make more of their stop an archaeological heritage site, and a small country hotel with a restaurant and swimming pool, are located next to the cottages.  

A few steps away from the cottages is an archaeological heritage site, a beautiful geothermal pool blessed by Gudmundur the Good in the 13th century (1161-1237).

Gudmundur (also nicknamed Gvendur) was a bishop at Holar. Guests can read about the pool and admire it, but bathing is strictly prohibited! The adjacent Hotel Laugarholl offers accommodation, has a restaurant, and a swimming pool open to the public for a modest admittance fee. Please contact the reception in Laugarholl upon arrival if you wish to visit the pool or make use of Laugarholl’s services.  

1625: Svellavetur. Kötlugos. Fyrsta galdrabrennan á Íslandi. Jón Rögnvaldsson var brenndur á Melaeyrum í Svarfaðardal eftir dóm fyrir fjölkynngi. Jóni var gefið að sök að hafa vakið upp draug og sent á pilt á Urðum, þar sem draugurinn drap hesta og gerði fleiri skráveifur. Magnús Björnsson, síðar lögmaður reið í Svarfaðardal og þótti málið sannað þegar í hirslum Jóns fundust gögn sem á voru rúnir og ískyggilegar teikningar.